PopEatsPop

This site is dedicated to documenting pop songs that have been covered by another act. A covers project? No not quite. PopEatsPop is not really about famous songs being covered but rather when a pop act usually in a distant country records a song that is then swiped by another who tends to have a larger record company behind them! Any suggestions would be great! Drop a line at cartharsispopboy@hotmail.com

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Yes! She never meant to call but she did anyway...









Etienne Daho-Weekend A Rome The French Original
Saint Etienne-He's On the Phone The Cover
Princessa-He's On The Phone Rare cover of the cover
Saint Etienne-He's On the Phone Motiv8 Remix

Consider this thread a feeble excuse to talk about Saint Etienne: Britians poppiest band of the 1990's. One must admit I only did this thread because there isnt enough of Saint Etienne in blogworld. They were a clever pop band in Britain when it wasnt really that cool to be. They'd go back to the days of Dusty, Elton, Kate Bush, Donna Summer, Cilla, StockAitkenWaterman, and Italian disco long long before the Scissor Sisters were even dreamt of. The band were introduced to me by one of my brothers boyfriends and I'd rant off about them to my school mates who were all none-the-wiser. & Saint Etienne were quite amazing and to this day theres something 'word of mouth' about them. Tracks like Hug My Soul, ShowerScene, PaleMovie, Who Do You Think You Are and Nothing Can Stop Us are delicate pop anthems for the 21st century. At the Scissor Sisters best, Saint Etienne were simply mediocre and its time this band were probably recognised with a crown of fantastic kudos. They kinda paved the way for current acts like Lorraine and Goldfrapp.

Personally I think Who Do You Think You is ripe for covering by an act like Kylie or Girls Aloud with a little touch of the Richard X. You can't really go wrong with much of their material for the melodies are so rich and lyrics so distinct. The band consisted of three key members; Bob Stanley, Pete Wiggs and Sarah Cracknell who are some of the most talented song writers+producers the world has to offer at the moment. They've worked with the girlgroup Shampoo and their songs they did with Kylie were deemed 'too pop'. If you could sum up their sound I'd say: restrained camp disco.

Typically I want to return to Scissor Sisters who are fab, abrasive, loud and cocky. Imagine the two bands as disco bunnies for one moment. Scissor Sisters would be high up on the podium in gold hotpants, screaming out quotes from PetShopBoy and Donna Summer records. Saint Etienne on the other hand have tears in the eyes because the disco loops are making them so warm they've never felt as loved or happy as they do while under the influence of the rising melodies and simple piano rifts. As the tears are wiped away they start to dance whilst whispering quotes from Dusty Springfield and Kylie Minogue b-sides. I love them!

Okay, so there two other acts here. He's On the Phone was originally a French pop song by Etienne Daho. He has worked with likes of Marrianne Faithful, Chris Isaak and Dani and even features on the Saint Etienne cover. He's a bit of a legend in France with loads of studio albums and a greatest hits collection released earlier this year. Weekend a Rome was one of his many hit singles when it was released in 1984. I was one so forgive me if I can't recall it.

Princessa is Spanish pop legend herself albiet quite unsung. Sadly there is very very very little on her on the web yet shes released a fair few number of singles. Her music covers Italian disco, Spanish trance and Swedish pop. Deeply influenced by the Beloved, Saint Etienne and Mecano her albums never sound too dated. Its a shame her current record label have pulled the release of her 3rd album for it used Eurovision songs as its template. She quickly covered the Saint Etienne version of He's On The Phone before the band could release theirs in Spain and Japan. Although she did well in those two aforementioned countries her version of the song is quite rare and very difficult to track down. Now love as i might Saint Etienne I think i actually prefer Princessas version. Don't know why...I think it might be the pronunciation of Leicester Square and instead of saying the 'shoes in hand' it sounds like 'cheese and ham'. Fantastic no?

I'd love it if Gwen and Girls Aloud hooked up with Saint Etienne. Even better I'd have an epi if they worked on Kylie's new album. Already half done with Jake Shears it would so achieve classic status with the addition of the Saint Etiennes disco dust. Its not like Kylie doesnt have their number....

So today we have the French original, the British cover and the ultra rare cover of the cover. Also included is a Motiv8 remix.





21 Comments:

  • At 3:19 AM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    Mmm, I sort of love the French version--I've listened to it repeatedly while doing work, because, since I can't understand the lyrics (and because it's sort of understated), it's not distracting, but it's still got that nice melody/music. I'd heard a lot of good things about Motiv8 remixes but never actually heard them before your blog, so thanks!

     
  • At 3:37 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    First off, Poster Girl, if you get a chance, try to track down the rare Motiv8 double-disc CD called Motiv8tion... it was only released in Australia, and has a good sampling of their best remixes!

    Pinkie!! MoogaBoo and I both love Saint Etienne! I actually bought their very first album on cassette back in 1991! Also, I've blogged repeatedly about them... most recently here, where I posted pics of them I took at their concert here in L.A. in February...

    It was the third time I'd seen them live, and I also got to interview Sarah Cracknell for a local magazine that tied in with the show!

    "He's On The Phone" will probably always be my favorite song by them, although "Like A Motorway" is a close second... "Lightning Strikes Twice" off their last album is pure pop magic, as well.

    Great post, superstar!

     
  • At 3:40 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Oh, one more thing... Is this the same Princessa that sang on the Bingo Boys 1991 hit (at least in the U.S.) "Show Me How To Dance"??

     
  • At 4:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    D'Luv: Two totally different Princessas. The one you're thinking of was a Monie Love-styled rapstress who disappeared shortly after the Bingo Boys did!

    Pinkz: Another great article. I have loved saint Etienne since... well, since you were ten, I guess. Mr. Daho is also a favorite. I believe his was actually called "Weekend a Rome," no?

    Loved your desciption of the band. Sadly, I think their days of producing high profile pop acts are over. Still, check out the great stuff they did for Shara Nelson, as well as the total campfest tracks they did for Japanese pop strumpet Nokko. ("Call Me NIGHTLIFE" is a hoot.)

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger PinkieDust said…

    Thanks for the kind comments!

    "First off", Postergirl I also listen to pop songs in different languges because it refuses to distract me. Proper background music.

    J'ason. I adore lightening...that with Hug My Soul are my favourite St.Etienne tracks. And nothing can stop us. But kylies version.

    Did i say how much i love Hug my Soul. Great song to give blowjobs too.

    Oh and this Princessa is a Spanish Disney ice star. As in she established herself on those "disney on ice" tours. Nothing ghetto about her. :)

    Moogaboo! Never heard of those collaborations you mentioned :( Will try harder next time. I think despite their dodgy shelf life, Cathy Dennis was way over her whatever-she-had and still she managed to write hit singles for other acts. Saint Etienne for kylies new album! Now! And the fact they're so over means they'll be far cheaper than the Scissor sisters/Richard X/Xenomania.

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger PinkieDust said…

    Poster girl....try out the track Hug My Soul! Its poptastic!

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger E said…

    Pinkie, every thread just gets better. Shame your queer.

    I mean that.

     
  • At 7:03 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Oh, yeah, Pinkie... Etienne Daho's is "Weekend A Rome."

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger PinkieDust said…

    J'ason...whats this confusion over the name of Daho's original? I do actually say its called Weekend A Rome?

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    my only real knowledge of St Et comes from the Kylie cover that was on the Confide In Me cd (?) and that is a great footnote in pop history. just a glorious moment for kylie - i utterly agree after checking out some of their music today that they should work on the upcoming Kylie cd. As much as i adore the scissters they are media whores right now and Kylie needs to be a bit cooler than that. PS i have such a huge non sexual crush on Ella. I kind of want a blow up doll of her :)

     
  • At 3:12 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Up at the top, the link for the mp3, it says "Monday A Rome," not "Weekend A Rome." It's no big deal.... Monday, Weekend, it's all good...

     
  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger PinkieDust said…

    Oh J'ason/Moogaboo: I was going mad there. I was looking at the post with your advice in mind and was thinking "What are they on? It says Weekend a rome". I was doing this for two days. My brain is in meltdown. Its now changed.

    Gracias...

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger E said…

    Pinkie your so blonde!

    Paul, you can blow me any time

     
  • At 12:15 PM, Blogger E said…

    Pinkie/Paul do you have the Kylie version of Nothing Can Stop Us?

     
  • At 4:45 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Ella, email me at chartrigger@yahoo.com if you've not yet found it.

     
  • At 4:45 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    And Pinkie, you're gonna get a thrashing for doubting me!

     
  • At 7:21 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    thanks Ella :) i hear i am VERY good at it ;)

    pinkie of the dust - i sent you an email so let me know when it arrives :)

     
  • At 1:25 PM, Blogger Stebags said…

    Hey PinkieDust,

    And the fact they're so over means they'll be far cheaper than the Scissor sisters/Richard X/Xenomania.

    Both St Et. and Kylie have worked with Xenomania on their last projects. Xenomania did Made of Glass and giving you up for Kyles and co-wrote Lightning and Stars above us on Turnpike!
    Getting all 3 together would be a match "made in heaven" (one kiss ;-) )

    My newly created blog - http://popstebags.blogspot.com/

    Ste

     
  • At 6:00 PM, Blogger Stebags said…

    Rare St. Et. poptastic demo over at my new blog

    http://popstebags.blogspot.com/

    Accident (Week-end a Rome) was on the 1995 St. EtienneDaho ep "Reserection" (beautiful Pierre et Giles front cover) cd says it was written by Cracknell-Stanley-Wiggs/Daho.

    Ste

     
  • At 7:45 AM, Blogger John said…

  • At 3:39 AM, Blogger chenlili said…

Post a Comment

<< Home