PopEatsPop

This site is dedicated to documenting pop songs that have been covered by another act. A covers project? No not quite. PopEatsPop is not really about famous songs being covered but rather when a pop act usually in a distant country records a song that is then swiped by another who tends to have a larger record company behind them! Any suggestions would be great! Drop a line at cartharsispopboy@hotmail.com

Monday, September 18, 2006

So free your love, hear me when I'm calling...
















Vina-Come Into My World Original Version Released in Vietnam
Kylie-Come Into My World Extended Version Only released on about 50 12" Very rare
Kylie-Come Into My World Live Stunning "live remix" of the song. Needs to be heard!
Kylie-Come Into My world Live Evolves into a night-time ballad

Take your mind back to 2001. Kylie's initial tracklist for Fever included Love At First Sight as the last track of the album instead of Burning Up and Whenever You Feel Like It. A few weeks later the tracklist changed that saw a rearranging of songs and the loss of the aforementioned track. It did however gain Come Into My World. The story goes that just before the album was sent off to be mastered a demo tape by Cathy Dennis had been fed-ex'ed over to EMI who carted Kylie off to Cathy's shack to record it immediately. The quickness of the session explains why the single version ended up being re-recorded and slightly remixed on its release to radio a year later.


However, while Kylie was busy sorting out the final details of Fever a singer originally from New Orleans but settled in Vietnam had demo'd her version of Come Into My World. On its eventual release it became a big radio hit and recieved poptastic remixes that were played in the clubs of Vietnam, Thailand and Indonesia. While it initially did not become a hit for Vina her version started to recieve heavy airplay by stations supporting the local girl over the international superstar. In other words, the record companies conspired to create a chart battle between the two singers that ultimately led to Vina kick starting a career that has seen more albums, pop videos and concerts.

Despite its rather limited production, special effects and somewhat restricted vocals its certainly gained a special place in my music collection. Also this is just a demo version so don't judge too harshly. Of course the Kylie version is better. She has the backing of a huge multinational which always comes with the benefit of many technological advances. Just enjoy...

8 Comments:

  • At 6:57 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    ooo excitement! good find! I love the live version of it - i nearly melted when i saw her sing it on her showgirl tour last year - one of the best concerts i've ever been too... thanks for this little bit of kylie history i never knew about :)

    you will love Wicked btw :) I am still drooling over it (and adam garcia - yummy)

     
  • At 2:30 AM, Blogger xolondon said…

    Can I ask which live versions these are before I DL? Is one the AMAZING Fever Tour version?

     
  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger PinkieDust said…

    Yup, the first one is from the fever tour. Its amazin! The other one is from Showgirl.

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger xolondon said…

    thanks - I stopped playing the album version quite awhile ago. I love the long intro to the Fever version. It's great on an eliptical machine. :)

     
  • At 9:50 PM, Blogger PinkieDust said…

    You might like the extended mix then

     
  • At 6:11 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Posts on Kylie = the hotness.

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger PinkieDust said…

    Thanks, your comments always make me smile.

     
  • At 4:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I've never loved CIMW, I admit. Even the myriad remixes and versions still rankle... it just always plays as a cheap ripoff of Can't Get You Out of My Head; a familiar bouncy keybopard setting with slight melody stapled to it. However, I love the backstory, and Vina's version has something that Kylie's does not.

    Although, the live version has an amazing outro.

    I don't say this enough: your blog is top notch! I'm loving the Cher/ Amy Grant piece, too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home